Thursday, 9 January 2014
CNC - First real cut
I put a grid of silicon door bumper pads (about 7mm dia) on the bed as way to stop the acrylic work-piece from sliding. I also used a pair of moly magnets from an old server HDD, one stick to the underside with double sided foam tape. These things have enormous amount of magnetic pull, and with the other one directly above it, it clamped the work-piece to the bed without risk of distorting it. Works a treat!
This run was 1.0mm deep, 0.5mm each Z step, and 200mm/min feed rate. I might be a bit ambitious with these settings :-)
It also doesn't help when the dremel collett seemed to swing the bit off-centre upwards of 0.25mm each way (a combined runout of 0.5mm).
The CNC router upgrade may be sooner that I had planned, but in its current state, a reasonably OK setup for learning with.
Next test..cutting a profile and drilling some holes. If I don't update this for a while, it's most likely gone all horribly wrong...but that's just me being optimistic :-)